The rest of the People of Israel will set up their tents in companies, every man in his own camp under its own flag. But the Levites will set up camp around The Dwelling of The Testimony so that wrath will not fall on the community of Israel. The Levites are responsible for the security of The Dwelling of The Testimony."
- Numbers 1:47-53
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Turn the Levites over to Aaron and his sons: they are the ones assigned to work full time for him. Appoint Aaron and his sons to minister as priests; anyone else who tries to elbow his way in will be put to death.
God spoke to Moses: "I have taken the Levites from among the People of Israel as a stand-in for every Israelite mother's firstborn son. The Levites belong to me. All the firstborn are mine - when I killed all the firstborn in Egypt, I consecrated for my own use every firstborn in Israel, whether human or animal. They belong to me. I am God."
- Numbers 3:8-13
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Levites are mine, I am God."
- Numbers 3:45
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Levitical priests - that's the entire tribe of Levi - don't get any land-inheritance with the rest of Israel. They get the Fire-Gift-Offerings of God - they will live on that inheritance. But they don't get land-inheritance like the rest of their kinsmen. God is their inheritance."
- Deuteronomy 18:1-2
